Just a few Mondays ago my cute Grandmother put together a quick get together of her progeny. Those of us that could make it gathered at a park in Lehi, catching up and laughing about recent events concerning my mother (more to come on that in a moment.) The whipping wind kept us from eating but the get together was nonetheless fun. My 91 year old grandmother leg wrestled a few of her grandchildren. She won, of course. As of this post my Grandma has 37 Grandchildren and 80 Great-Grandchildren! Three more on the way! She is in great shape and counts her daily exercise as the reason. She does "bicycles" everyday. You know what those are? You lay on your back and push your legs into the air, peddling. She has not missed a day of exercise in more than 60 years!
So now, on to the story that my family won't soon forget. I'll start at the beginning. My Mom was going to be spending an hour at my house to kill some time before she had to meet her friends for lunch. Before coming to my house she drove two of her neighbors to the hospital. My Mom is always willing to help out. So she walked with her neighbors, through their apartment lobby to her van. They chatted as they drove until about half way to St. Marks my dear Mother happened to look down and was shocked at what she saw. She had forgotten to put pants on. Pants! She had on her garments (Mormon underwear) but had completely forgotten pants! "Oh my word!" she declared, out loud. Her back seat passenger said, "Sally, did you forget something?" "Yes, but I'll just go pick it up after I drop you off." After she left them at the hospital she hurried back home. Once in her parking lot she realized she would have to walk through a host of workers there to move new appliances into some of the apartments and then through her lobby, where there are always neighbors sitting and chatting. "I know, I will walk with my cane, which I rarely do. Then everyone will notice the cane and not my lack of pants." She explained her thinking to me but then, in hindsight (no pun intended) it seemed a silly thing to think the cane would be any distraction at all.
She made into her 3rd floor apartment, sans pants, and emerged in a few minutes with her capri's on. She rushed to my house to relay what she had done. She was mortified...I could not stop laughing ALL day! Me, my sisters, my brother..we all laughed and laughed...and laughed.
The news spread quickly to our extended family thanks to Facebook. So when we got together with everyone a few days later the subject of my Mother and her pants...or lack thereof...was at the top of the list of topics to discuss. As I waited to compose the photo and get everyone in the shot I asked everyone to look and make sure Aunt Sally had her pants on. I love the photo I captured of everyone looking her way. She's a good sport.
| Me and my cute Grandma. |
| Almost everyone. |
| My Mom with her pants on. |
1 comment:
I am still laughing about your mom's escapade!!! So funny!
How many bicycles does your Grandma do? 5 or 200? I am inspired and may try that but I have my limits, you know.
Post a Comment