Sunday, September 9, 2012

School 2012


Well, it's here and I am late posting about this momentous occasion. Lilly is now a kindergartner. She was both excited and nervous, nothing new I suppose. It was cute to see her brave face when she waited in line to enter class. There were tears from other kids. Worried looks, clearly holding back tears. But not Lilly. Stoic. Ready for the adventure. She wasn't so sure about riding the bus but it worked out. I, on the other hand, missed meeting the bus twice. Poor Lil had to ride all the way back to the school before I could get her home. I think the kinks have been worked out with the bus route and timing. I can't blame it all on the bus driver but I'll just say many a Mom missed their little one's homecoming this first week.
Lil's first day of school. Max had already been going for a week.
Walking to the bus stop. One of the nicest things about living in our new home is the long, cool, quiet, shady walk to the bus stop.

Waiting for the bus with her best friends.
The first bus ride!
Lilly is greeted by her teacher, Mrs. Malloy. She seems so sweet.
This is not the face of a worried first-day-of-schooler, is it?
"Bye, Mom."

Mom finally sees her girl after waiting for 40 minutes at school. I missed the bus' arrival at our bus stop. On the first day! But Lil wasn't worried or scared. "I knew you'd come, Mom." Big girl.

Max was ready for a big let down. The first day lived up to his predictions. "How was your day, Max?" I queried as he exited the bus. "I'll talk about it in the car." He revealed that no one really talked to him and he would do anything if I would let him go back to his old school. "I'll wake up at 1 AM if you'll drive me to my old school everyday. Please?!" He really does miss his good friends and the fact that he could walk to and from school with them. After a little talk he seemed resigned to the reality that he would not be getting his way and this new school was here to stay. The next day he was smily-er when he got off the bus. "I put myself out there more. I talked to more kids. A kid in music class asked if he could be my friend." Every day after he had better stories for me. He was starting to make friends and enjoy school a little bit. Although, if you ask him right now he would say, with a roll of his eyes, "I still don't understand why they (his new friends) insist on playing four square without the use of their hands! It's SO ineffective!"


Such a handsome 10 year old. Such a great kid!
Saying good bye to Milton.

He doesn't look hesitant about riding the bus, does he? He was not happy about having to ride the bus. That cute smile does not reveal that though!

Max loves his teacher though. Mrs. Eldridge seems to be his favorite teacher so far. That is a nice blessing during this transition year where he's had a big move and lost his best buddies out of his daily life.

No comments: