Sunday, June 13, 2010

Proud Parents.

You know when you think something your kid does or says is cute but you know, instinctively, that you will be regretting it someday? For the past couple of weeks, Miss Lilly, has adopted the good bye phrase "See you in hell!" She got it from watching Star Wars with her brother. Han Solo says it. She uses it to say goodbye to friends, neighbors, and...oh yea, her nursery teachers. My red face backs out of the room slowly as I say "I'm sorry. She's learning..." and I nervously laugh. BUT, she has picked up a new phrase. We aren't sure where she heard it. We have an idea, but aren't sure. Part of the new phrase contains a word that I have said in the past. NEVER, EVER in front of my children! Really. I may have had my issues with this particular word in the past but never would I use that word in front of my children or any children, for that matter. In fact, my New Year's resolution was to stop saying that word. I used it rarely and in specific incidences of complete and total anger and frustration...but never in front of others. Except a couple of occasions when Andy and Leslie were around and once in front of Dave and Chalese. And one time I used it 'aplenty' during a phone conversation where I was ranting to my sister about someone that made me sooooo very very mad. That was the first time she ever heard me say it and shortly after that she stopped going to church. I can't help but feel responsible.
Anyway, when my sweet little girl used this word I had a lump in my throat. I thought I'd burst into tears and laugh all at once. I calmly told her that is a bad word and we don't use it. "Where did you hear that, honey?" I asked. "Oh, $*@&?" she asked, innocently. "Yes. That," I said. "I don't know," was her reply. I left it that and she hasn't said it again. I'm holding my breath that she doesn't say it at nursery today. Oh the morification! Maybe she needs to stop going to church.

6 comments:

Mikki said...

HA ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.......

Scarehaircare said...

Family story going down in legend on my side of the family. My parents went to my sis' house for Sunday dinner and to see the new addition of a deck. The deck had been a much more difficult project than anticipated and my sis and her DH were relieved it was done.

My parents were greeted at the door by my sis' then 3 yr old daughter who said "Hi, Grandma and Grandpa! Did you come to see the d*mn deck?" My parents were shocked (and trying hard not to laugh) and my sis was mortified. The daughter had picked up the word from her mom.

My sis never said that word again. :) But she will never live down the story.

Amy C said...

Oh I'm just waiting for the day for one of my boys to repeat something I say to them when I'm angry! I hope it never happens, but I need to work on that. Good for you for never saying the 'word' in front of your kids, and for working on not saying it at all anymore...I should follow your lead. :)

Jen Paris said...

that Lill's...she kills me! With that sweet little voice of hers, though, I bet it takes a little of the harshness out of it, huh?? :) Good luck with that one.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Teach her to say "I learned it at The Coesters'!" and all will be well.

Meg said...

Oh, Wendy, I just laughed out loud!! And that doesn't happen often. But even more at telling her nursery teachers "see you in hell." Lilly should talk to Phenix. He would put her straight (with a lisp) "we don't say @#&!, we only say cow" (as in "holy cow"). Ha ha!! Too funny.