Friday, November 13, 2009

"pinano"

We are getting Max started in piano lessons. Lilly begs to teach her how to play. So we are looking for a piano. This makes my brain hurt. I have done research. Visited showroom floors, talked with too many salesmen. Picked the brains of my talented friends. Looked online for used pianos. Thinking about a digital piano, too. I NEED HELP! My tiny brain can't keep it all straight. Tell me, if you have an opinion, what I should do? We need a piano before he starts lessons. I know nothing about pianos! Your wisdom and knowledge on the subject would be greatly appreciated! ("Pinano" is how Lilly says "piano". I hope she never learns how to say it correctly.)

5 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Do you really want piano advice from someone who painted hers blue?

And Campbell says it panyo. KILLS me!

Jami said...

If you are thinking digital go with the Clavinova... Costco has a pretty nice one! I finally found a cheap digital one on KSL but I'd like to upgrade one of these days!

Carla Olsen said...

My thoughts for what they are worth.
-If you think Max will become very proficient and you really want to follow through with high level music, you can choose nothing but an acoustic piano. If you don't have space for a grand, choose a nice upright grand that will match his ability to produce SOUND!
-If you are wanting to have him learn to augment his overall music abilities but don't think he will be interested in lots of performance, choose a really cool digital piano with a midi that you can eventually hook up to a sound system and add really cool digital effects, easy composing and even "player piano" options.
So fun! Also, if you decide to go acoustic, if you buy a Steinway or a Boston (the drummed down version of Steinway) from Daynes Music, in the past they have offered full trade in value for the life of the piano if you want to upgrade to a grand. Have fun, tough decisions, bet max will be great!

Scarehaircare said...

If you are serious about this and want a piano for a lifetime, a professional upright (the tallest upright available) or a baby grand or better is really the best investment. Digital pianos will always be changing technology and not worth it, IMHO, unless you want to do composing/mixing and the electronic gadgets. The piano I have is a professional upright that really holds tune well even after we moved. One of these days I would love a grand piano.

jenpetersen said...

Because I took piano lessons for about 18 years and love piano I have a little bit of an opinion on this. If you can afford it I also think you should get an acoustic( I guess this is what it is called- I would have called it an old fashioned regular piano0 verses a digital piano. Maybe I am old fashioned at heart but they just have all the class in the world. I think that digital pianos to serve their purpose and I hope that I don't offend anyone who has one but I think that nothing compares to the true sound of a traditional piano. Of course a baby grand would be awesome(I'd love one myself) but that might not be practical in price or size.
Good Luck! Oh-another thing-I agreed with c. olsen that a lot does depend on if Max will stick with it or not and of course you can't predict the future. My kids don't have a choice! They are stuck with lessons until I don't know when... I might eat those words sometday. Could this response be any longer?