Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How?


These are a few cherries from our cherry trees. I'm trying to pick them as soon as I see they are close to ripe. The birds eat most of them. HOW do you keep birds away? We have two cherry trees. We put a net around one of them to thwart the birds. It is mostly impossible to get the net completely tight around the whole tree. Birds can still get in from the bottom. They get up in that tree and then realize they are stuck. I swear, when we pull that net off, we'll find a dead bird or two that just couldn't figure out how to get out! The net seems to help a bit. The tree without the net has more cherries that are half eaten by the birdies. Does anyone have a better idea on how to stop our cherries from becoming bird food?

6 comments:

London said...

I don't have any ideas, but those cherries look mighty tasty.

Casey said...

We went and bought a fake owl from home depot. We just set it on our garden and that is keeping the birds away from our raspberries and boysenberries!

Jami said...

the owl idea is GREAT, but you could also maybe put some bird feeders around your yard too so that they are tempted by that... I have the same problem with my strawberries... Good LUCK!

Karin said...

Hey Wendy, I was blog hopping and found your blog on amy's blog. Hope you guys are doing well, hopefully we'll get to see you guys sometime this summer.

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

We couldn't ever keep the birds away from ours when I was a kid. Blah.

kelsey said...

Funny, this is the first year we have been able to eat our cherries! Usually the birds get ours, but for some reason they haven't? I think it's because we are keeping our lawn really short and they are too busy with the spiders in the grass.