Sunday, May 3, 2009

life-saving hero? or child abuser?


You can't quite tell from the picture but little Lilly has quite a bruised goose egg on her forehead and a scraped nose and upper lip. Yesterday, after lunch with Alan's parents and our Sister-in-law, Haley and her children, we were leisurely walking outside of the restaurant. Admiring the flowers, taking pictures of the kids with their beloved Grandma and Grandpa. After this picture was taken...I put my camera away and started toward Lilly. I reached slowly for her hand. She giggled and darted away from me....right toward 9400 South. She quickly, oh so quickly, ran, all the while laughing. My yelling for her to stop grew louder and more desperate. She was not stopping and I was not fast enough to close the gap. Alan looked over after hearing my desperate, scared cries for her to stop. He ran as fast as he could and with a giant leap in front of her pushed her back, away from the road. She had made it to just before the park strip. She was a mere 3 feet from the busy road. He had no time to grab her or the momentum would have pushed them both into oncoming traffic. He pushed her head back toward the grass but she landed face down on the concrete sidewalk. She was wailing...Alan was in adrenaline shock. I had twisted my ankle in my feeble attempt to run after her. Our eyes were big, our hearts were pounding. Lilly's bruised, swollen head was already very apparent.
We all had a sick stomach, but, poor Al was worse off than the rest of us. He felt like a child abuser though he was obviously a hero.

We had driven separate vehicles and Max hopped in Al's car. On the way home Max said "Dad, when I look at the bump on Lilly's forehead it makes me think you're a criminal. Kind of." Alan felt like a criminal. I tried to explain to Al that that is exactly what DOES NOT make him a criminal. The fact the he is a good person means he would naturally feel bad about what had happened. I don't think criminals feel bad. So, I decided to write about this "excitement" this morning. When I announced I would be posting the story Max explained, "I don't think that is a very good idea. Child protective services might read it."

Lilly seems all better. Even the bump has greatly diminished. She seems to adore her Daddy, just like always. I'm just worried about Lilly's seeming need to learn lessons by experience. Getting hit by a car when your 2 years old and 20 pounds isn't a lesson you learn from!

12 comments:

Meachamania said...

Oh Dear Wendy~ my heart and prayers are with you. What an event, all the way from the run, the capture and not to mention the potential for a different ending. It does seem *all's well that ends well* in spite of the emotional workout. Bless you all!!

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

That girl!!!

And how does this make you feel? Bennett was the only one with pink eye and it wasn't the crazy contagious kind, just the kind that comes from being a baby with a cold whose head doesn't know how to drain out of the right holes yet.

:o)

Unknown said...

Wow!! How scary!! Definitely a hero!!! I'm so happy this story had a good ending!!!

Unknown said...

Yes, even with the bumps and cuts and scraps, it was for sure a happy ending! LOL

Casey said...

He is a true HERO! GOOD job Alan!

Scarehaircare said...

Oh my heavens. I've experienced that terror before with The Love Magnet. Tell Alan he's a HERO in my book.

kir said...

Isn't that so how it goes when you're just trying to keep everyone safe and sound? So glad everyone's okay and isn't it great that goose eggs do go away!
(and I will get you that red velvet cake recipe and it is yum...)

Haley said...

I still replay her running to the road, giggling, as I'm watching in shock. I'm just glad she's ok. Poor Alan, just think about what would have happened had he not gotten there. In any event, it was great to see you guys!

Tamarynn Leigh said...

Poor Alan! How scary for all of you. Definitely a hero!!!

kelsey said...

Ahhh! How scary! I would take a goose egg on the forehead over being hit by a car any day! Good thing he was able to get to her in time. This is one of my biggest fears!

London said...

Poor Alan, no other way to save sweet Lil. I'm glad it isn't so much worse. He is definately a HERO!

Kim said...

I'm so glad everyone is or will be ok. My heart pounded while I was reading and am happy to read it had a happy ending.