
O.K., so I have received some backlash for my comments regarding vinyl wall clings. Some have taken offense to my comments (in their desperation to stay relevent in their decorating and justify their choices.) Really, I don't judge when someone has chosen to follow a trend. I don't happen to prefer this trend but it is radically popular and you can do it if you want and most of the people that see your wall will be totally blown away by your design choices. If I walk into your home and see your vinyl wall clings I promise I won't judge. That is not nice and unless I am asked or hired to give my opinion I just don't think about it. Really. One person asked "Well, Wendy, if I don't follow the trends how do I know how to decorate? I just don't instinctively know how to decorate unless I copy what I see my neighbors, etc...are doing?" That is a good question. It is perfectly fine to copy a trend. In fact, most decorators are copying something they have seen. Sometimes they are taking an old idea and refurbishing that idea for today or they are following a current trend. Very few ideas are completely original. But, how do you find your own decorating style? That is a great question. When I am hired by someone to decorate their home I tell them to scour magazines, find things that speak to them and rip them out of the mag. After a while you start to see a pattern emerge of what they like and I am better able to make it their style, not just my design preferences. Most people have a style that they like...they just don't know it. It is when you merge trends with colors you like and the way you live that it becomes your original design. And nothing is wrong. (I was hired to decorate a home in a series of themes once. Star Trek, Looney Tunes, Coca Cola, and Teddy Bears...in one house...THAT was wrong! I told them to keep it on the down-low that I had helped them. It was the early 90's...I needed a paycheck.) When I tell you I really don't judge when I go into a home (unless asked TO judge) I am telling you the truth. I look at a home as a whole, a reflection of the person/people that live there. I love seeing your homes. I love seeing what lights you up (even if it is vinyl clings.) Your home is YOU and I could never judge that (again...unless you pay me :) ) So, take what I say with a grain of salt. Nothing is directed at someone personally. It is mostly the rantings of a sleep deprived mother anyway.
By the way, the picture above was taken by Max. He wanted me to show it. And, for those of you that don't know, my small decorating company is called "good egg interiors" hence the title of this blog.
1 comment:
Don't beat yourself up...we all did a lot of things in the early 90's that we regret.
And that picture makes your teeth look very white and your neck look super skinny.
Post a Comment